Introduction - CAPITAL Software (XHarbour)

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Chris post=23998 userid=313 wrote:Dick,

Please don't turn this into another VS bashing thread though...
Will asks if he should consider XIDE or VS. What is your problem with answering that mentioning the way I see VS? Did you guys get an angry mail from Microsoft or something like that?

Dick
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Wolfgang,
wriedmann post=24000 userid=336 wrote: XIDE shows the method in the column "Entity".
But I see only 2 entity names in the whole list.

What I miss is the exact method names, function names. It looks to me that the entity list doesn't contain that info?

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,
ic2 post=24001 userid=455 wrote:

Will asks if he should consider XIDE or VS. What is your problem with answering that mentioning the way I see VS? Did you guys get an angry mail from Microsoft or something like that?
Nothing like that, and after all I also dislike VS a lot, but there's no point repeating this in every single post IMO. Everybody knows you hate it, they know I do it, too, but let's not annoy them with that 10 times a day...

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,
Chris post=24003 userid=313 wrote: Nothing like that, and after all I also dislike VS a lot, but there's no point repeating this in every single post IMO. Everybody knows you hate it, they know I do it, too, but let's not annoy them with that 10 times a day...
Ok, fair enough, but in this case Will asked what other think. I think those who dislike VS too should express that then.

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
But I see only 2 entity names in the whole list.
What I miss is the exact method names, function names. It looks to me that the entity list doesn't contain that info?
there are four columns that contain this information:
-
  • Application - contains the application, and here you can see that the results come from at least 5 different applications
  • File - contains the program file, and here I have about 20 different in my screenshot (there are a lot more)
  • Class - contains the class name, in this case a class for every file
  • Entity - the entity name. In this sample screenshot it may look confusing, as I use the same method name for every window to build it.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
VR

Post by VR »

Another side note... It is possible to create Extensions for Visual Studio. Here's an example for an Visual Studio Extension related to X#: https://github.com/InfomindsAg/XSharpPowerTools

Maybe Dick can offer Chris "a bag full of money", so that he reuses his code for the search functionality in XIDE and wraps it in a Visual Studio Extension. ;-)

Volkmar
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,
ic2 post=24001 userid=455 wrote:

Like Chris said: there is no need to repeat your point of view in every thread, even when people ask your opinion.
Your repeated complaints about VS are "poisoning" the atmosphere on the forum.

I am sure (I have heard) that this prevents others from making positive remarks about what VS can do (yes some people like VS) because they are afraid for another "VS war". These people are well aware that the issues that you have with the code editor are not VS issues but OUR issues with how VS works.

Please don't force me to put you on a black list for "trolling".

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Robert,
robert post=24010 userid=253 wrote:
I am sure (I have heard) that this prevents others from making positive remarks about what VS can do (yes some people like VS) because they are afraid for another "VS war".
That doesn't make sense to me. I welcome positive remarks about VS, because there might be things I could do differently so I could benefit. I have actually asked for such remarks in multiple posts. And I have also written which VS features I like. I admit that I express my concerns about VS, many also present in C#, (too) often because I am confronted with it often. But far from "in every thread" or "10 times a day". I think the vast majority of my posts do not include VS and are useful contributions to the forum and the posts that do also describe relevant issues with X# in VS which you could often address.
robert post=24010 userid=253 wrote: Please don't force me to put you on a black list for "trolling".
Then start with revoking my access to the betatestesters forum; I will no longer participate. Most issues I posted there were VS related so there's a good chance that an issue is accompanied by a not nice remark about VS about which you made it perfectly clear that this annoys you.

Have a great weekend.

Dick
WillNitschke

Post by WillNitschke »

Hi Chris,

Great, thanks for the tips.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Will

You appear to be trying to tackle different things at once. My advice is to treat them separately.

Advancement of your business management software is one thing. For that those conversant with relevant coding will obviously give best advice and lead to the quickest way of doing things.

But if you are looking to the future, albeit as a hobby, understanding what is going on beneath the surface will help significantly. IMO gaining this understanding through code, as Wolfgang pointed out, is likely to take a long, long time.

The bad news is that what I will call the "computing eco-system" is extremely complex. It has always been thus, but it is only recently that its evolution has led our thinking to similarly evolve.

The good news is that you already know something that is far more complex and far reaching than a mere "computing eco-system". It is real life and the way we go about things quite naturally and in many cases without too much thought.

So, with a bit of lateral thinking, it becomes easier to contrast what we do in real-life with what electronics can be made to do in "electronic life", thereby giving us an easier route to understanding.

I will try to give you a nudge in your directions of thought, which I hope will lead you to think it through further for yourself. It is impossible to pro-actively TEACH anyone to understand - we all see things differently. Each of us must try to understand for ourselves in our own way.

In real life a look at a map will show roads crisscrossing all over the place. Bridges and so on. Obviously OK because our world is 3-dimensional. One look at the motherboard of a PC shows that the tracks or busses (equivalent to roads, lanes etc. in real life) are flat. Therefore, where roads cross on the maps any traffic on our electronic roads must wait if other traffic is passing across.

At the same time there is another self-evident truth in respect of our electronic road - it is a single bus running from one fixed point to another, the electronic traffic runs from a start point to an end point. (Start to destination). The track cannot move.

How can we tie that up to our real-life roads?

Very simply - we only need our road for a period of time of sufficient length to carry goods (data) from start to finish. In real life we may walk (say 4mph); electronically data moves at constant speed but very quickly. (Here we are talking about base speed close to the speed of light, but considerably reduced by electronic factors, still fast). Now all we have to do, conceptually at least, is move data containers in our program into start or endpoint positions.

I hope the foregoing helps you in appreciating the overall picture. Subjectively I find it is the quickest way to explain things.

It is your code that has to control things.

I hope it provides a start to useful thinking.

Terry